Winter Meetings Prequel PEBA

Matt
VIP
VIP

Winter Meetings Prequel PEBA

#1 Post by Matt »

I want to start generating a little buzz about the winter meetings, and see if we can't ignite a few trade talks and match up some trading partners, etc.

In the interests of clarity, let's see if we can set a few ground rules.
1. How about two seperate threads? One for PEBA, one for LRS. This will make things easier for guys scanning for trade partners.
2. Stick to the FORMAT, which I will spell out with my own example.
3. Stick to the TOPIC.

Ok, I will lead off.

San Antonio Calzones de Laredo

TEAM OUTLOOK
We are still in rebuilding mode. We have assembled a young core of players that we are beginning to build around. There is an expectation that many of our young players will continue to take their lumps for another season or two. We're also waiting on a few of our prized pitching prospects who are a year or two away. Our bullpen remains a wreck but it's not something we can address at this time without straying from our plan. We think our rotation will be a strength this season, and continued growth by some of our young hitters should allow us to score a few more runs. We would like to win a few more games in 2013 and begin to turn our financial fortunes around, but we don't think we will see a great improvement until 2014. In the end, we are hoping to avoid 100 losses again, but we are sticking to the plan regardless.

GOALS FOR THE WINTER MEETINGS
1. Stay on plan. No shiny things.
2. Move a bad contract or two for another bad contract or two. Willing to get creative with some bad contracts. I have expiring bad contracts. I need to save a few dollars this year. Willing to move an expiring contract for someone else's bad contract that might be a little longer in length IF it allows me to save a few bucks this year.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
Kichida, Corrigan, Cervantes, Maeda.

NEEDS
1. Young relief pitching. We can't afford to take on contracts for relievers, and we don't see the type of young relievers we need being available. So we probably won't accomplish this.
2. Left handed power bat, ideally a corner infielder. Again, we need young and cheap, and we are unlikely to move a pitching prospect for a bat, so this likely doesn't get done either.
3. Short of accomplishing the first two goals, we might settle for a right handed bat to add some umph to the lineup. But we have lot's of options here already, so unless the price is right we probably walk away from the meetings empty handed, but still on plan.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Winter Meetings Prequel PEBA

#2 Post by Hitmen »

New Jersey Hitmen

TEAM OUTLOOK
Nearing what I hope is the end of my "rebuilding" phase before I enter a neutral phase, I hope the 2013 season can be spent to get completely out of debt to be ready to roll for the 2014 season when I expect most of my studs to be ready. The bullpen is pretty much reworked and ready with the potential to possibly fix it even more if I can move Delgado or Alvarez. The rotation will have a couple rookies see time this year unless I can figure out a fix which will have me decide what to do with some trade possibilities out there for me, going to move on after initial inquiries for bigger fish have resulted in little success. Hopefully we can continue to improve and get to .500 this season.

-Move some of my back ups.
-Move some of my large contracts if I can, but it is not necessary.
-Mostly just stay the course as I like most of my current planned set up.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
No one new or special outside of my trade block. Some others potentially being shopped that I do not advertise.

NEEDS
-Move an outfielder.
-Not do anything crazy.
-Look for other possibilities of improvement.

::Updated Sept. 21:: - SP situation in order... for now :lol:
Last edited by Hitmen on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Hitmen wrote:NEEDS
-Move an outfielder.
-Figure out pitching situation.
-Not do anything crazy.
Pffft. Where's the fun in that? :-b
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by klewis »

Florida Featherheads

TEAM OUTLOOK
The Featherheads won over 100 games last season and looked poised to be the first team to go back-to-back Rodriguez Cup winners but injuries and lackluster performances derailed the team down the stretch. Florida hopes to rebound from last season's disappointment by reloading this season. With both pitching and the offense relatively in tact, the Featherheads should do well again this season.

-Grab outfield depth (need a AAA/ML 5th outfielder)
-Long man (mop up)
-Back up catcher or AAA catcher
-Maybe do something crazy

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
-Got a bevy of 1st rounders and 2nd rounders that could be moved
-Kevin McNeill could be available if there was something enticing
-Yoshino Miyata could be available if I wanted to be crazy

NEEDS
-See goals
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Aurora Borealis

TEAM OUTLOOK
The Borealis are a team that could have walked away with titles the past two seasons, but instead returned to the Front Range empty handed. Many of the parts of value are signed long-termed or are pre-arbitration. Older parts and expensive parts (Chris Weaver and John Roach) have been let go or moved as Aurora looks to maintain financial sustainability and competitiveness. The migration from the deep farm system has begun as Al Edwards and En-guo Guao have moved up with others in the wings. With that said, only one area of the team is a concern - starting pitching.

- Acquire a (young, <30) top-notch starting pitcher
- Pick up some early round picks

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
- Many of the bigger names on the roster could be had in a move for a top of the line starter, including guys like McDonald or Knight.

NEEDS
- Patience
- Improved SP to go with excellent RP
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Zephyrs »

TEAM OUTLOOK
The Reno Tenpinners are perennial basement dwellers. I am a reasonable man. I just want to give them a chance to be competitive in the future. The only shot seems to be to develop a respectable farm system. In time, some of those prospects will turn into big league contributors. While, I do not plan on tanking the next 2-3 seasons, I do plan on acquiring as many draft picks as possible over that time frame.

-Learn more about the league and its participants
-Make Matt Higgins love me for my baseball smarts

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
-Everyone

NEEDS
-A Mom without Cancer
- A Thriving Farm System
-A 750ml bottle of Makers Mark
-A box of Oliva Double Toros
-A longer Summer
-Children who get along
-Season 3 of Deadwood
-Civ V without Steam
-A nice night alone with my lovely Wife
-A medium rare thick cut boneless ribye
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Borealis »

Tenpinners wrote: GOALS FOR THE WINTER MEETINGS
-Make Matt Higgins love me for my baseball smarts

NEEDS
-A Mom without Cancer
- A Thriving Farm System
-A 750ml bottle of Makers Mark
-A box of Oliva Double Toros
-A longer Summer
-Children who get along
-Season 3 of Deadwood
-Civ V without Steam
-A nice night alone with my lovely Wife
-A medium rare thick cut boneless ribye
Spectacular!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Reg »

TEAM OUTLOOK
Things are looking pretty set, have a couple of deals set to go down over the winter meetings, but not sure if Cooper Scott will make it. Which makes for a slightly duller winter meetings for everyone involved.

World peace...short of that I don't know

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
Everyone has their price

NEEDS
Mental help for Scott...and probably Cobb.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Maulers »

TEAM OUTLOOK
The Maulers won the IL pennant in 2012 and came within one lonely win of the Rodriguez Cup. Next year I look to again contend for the playoffs and, hopefully, make an even more successful playoff run. So we're in win now mode, but my farm system is also probably in the best shape it's even been in as well. So I'm cautiously optimistic for short and long-term competitiveness.

The terrific playoff run, however, did expose some clear weaknesses on offense. I've already addressed one of those, swapping out Roger Jordan for Brooks Erickson in LF. I've also bolstered the bench with the addition of Miguel Lluea, who I plan to use as my first utility option. I've got a ream of money and I'm willing to use it however it might best serve the purpose of continuing the offensive improvement.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
I could see moving SP Jesus Gonzalez and also, though it would be very unlikely, C Juan Jose Benitez.

NEEDS
I'm looking for a impact middle infielder, either SS or 2b. Also, in an ideal world I would upgrade at the catcher position. Finally, I wouldn't turn up my nose at an ace starter.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Bill »

THE DULUTH WARRIORS

TEAM OUTLOOK
Hmmm....we've lost 100 games four years running. I think we are rebuilding.

a) Get Back in Black! (dum, da-da-dum, da-da-dum, guitar....). Being solvent by end of 2013 is a must.
b) Fill the swiss cheese that is our 25 man roster with some bodies. Preferably some very cheap bodies. We have a little money to spend. But not a lot. Looking for some blocked AAA guys or ML backups that need a chance. Did I mention cheap?

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
Wouldn't mind being rid of the contract of SP Rocky Reed. No other real ML talent to offer.

NEEDS
Someone who can hit behind Pat Holman. RP, 1B, RF, DH.
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#11 Post by Dinosaurs »

TEAM OUTLOOK

On the fringe of being a playoff team the past two seasons after making it for the first time three seasons ago. Probably going to be right there again, so the outlook is that this team should be a contender out of the gates.

1.) Acquire starting pitching.
2.) Explore the Center Fielder market, maybe take a stab.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
See what AAA 1B Brandon Small might fetch on the open market.

NEEDS

Starting Pitching
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by John »

Dinosaurs wrote:PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
See what AAA 1B Brandon Small might fetch on the open market.
Interesting player. Small has raked minor league pitching yet has never received a single major league at bat. I, for one, would be curious to see what kind of an impact he would have in the PEBA. He may be one of those under-the-radar acquisitions that really pays off for some astute GM.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Tyler »

I won't be attending the meetings, so think of this as an off-season guide.

TEAM OUTLOOK
Still rebuilding. We may put acquire some pretty pieces as window dressing for the fans so they still show up, and we'll always look to add potential core pieces, but we're not really primarily buying or selling. Standing pat as we wait for 2014.

I've completed two trades to be announced at the meetings. One tiny, one huge. I'll certainly make my mark. :wink:

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
SP Jason Oliver. Could also move a 1B or an OF for a similar piece at another position.

NEEDS
Patience.
Last edited by Tyler on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by DanD »

Arlington Bureaucrats

TEAM OUTLOOK
The roster has been a revolving door over the last couple of seasons yet the team has remained pretty successful. However, the IL record setting offense is losing three pretty important bats in Hoffman, Souza and Sutton. Heading into the winter meetings I'm halfway in between giving some unproven rookies a chance to fill the holes (which I have been reluctant to do in the past) and trying to acquire a big bat or two. Then again I feel that with a full season of Saenz and Ortega scheduled the pitching might be improved enough that the 'Crats wont need to score as many runs to keep winning.

1. Get rid of an extra outfielder.
2. Possibly acquire a bat.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
Bunch, Frazier.

NEEDS
1. A Big Bat.
2. Possibly one starting pitcher.
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Duane »

Kentucky Thoroughbreds

TEAM OUTLOOK
Kentucky is pretty set for the coming season - at all levels. We have cash, a full assortment of bourbon, and the will to use as necessary. Our future is bright as long as Bill doesn't make any backroom deals without talking to the GM first. Our goal is to improve on our first +.500 season. We feel that this coming season will be the training run for a playoff bound team, and that the stable of youngsters are hungry to make it happen.

It would be nice if we could actually show up for the meetings, however, a couple deals in the works which, if completed, will be announced at the meeting. We are starting to get overloaded at the upper levels and need to thin the heard. We are willing to take on salary without moving our primary prospects. There is room for an established OF and plenty of salary room as well, but it has to be a salary dump/saving incentive for the other team.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
one or 2 MR from this list (Hoe, Kono, Thompson)
our 1st round pick

NEEDS
1. to add without subtraction
2. move the extra MR to attain roster balance
3. to finish moving and get on with repairs
4. get Snake Hips over the concussion and back into a productive role
5. to keep Bill away from Trader Matt, as well as any other GM
6. to plan on changing our cap colors/design
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”