Winter Meetings Prequel PEBA

klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Winter Meetings Prequel PEBA

#16 Post by klewis »

It seems quite a few teams are looking for starting pitching. I am/was in the market as well. But due to failed attempts, I think I am sticking with my current rotation. Several teams have contacted me about my pitching as well. But with my trade with New Orleans, I'm no longer in the market of trading a starter.

As for big bats available.... I think the biggest one out there is probably Ruben Cruz of Charleston. In the past, Florida has mentioned the availability of Miyata, McNeill, and Zhu. But it appears that trio will be sticking in Jacksonville. It would be hard to convince me to trade any of them since the team is looking to make a run at the cup next season. But there's always a possibility....

Other names include McDonald and Knight of Aurora. But I suspect they are in the same situation as Florida - not gonna move the big bats unless the deal is right.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Borealis »

Featherheads wrote:It seems quite a few teams are looking for starting pitching.
Yep! I noticed that too... If everyones looking for pitching, who's doing the trading?
Featherheads wrote:Other names include McDonald and Knight of Aurora. But I suspect they are in the same situation as Florida - not gonna move the big bats unless the deal is right.
Very true, and in the 'looking for pitching' vein, either of those would move for a comparable pitcher - someone very good!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#18 Post by Dinosaurs »

Very true, and in the 'looking for pitching' vein, either of those would move for a comparable pitcher - someone very good!
That's the issue though since pitching appears to be the vaunted commodity, comparable pitchers are going to fetch more simply because of the scarcity.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#19 Post by Dinosaurs »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:
Dinosaurs wrote:PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
See what AAA 1B Brandon Small might fetch on the open market.
Interesting player. Small has raked minor league pitching yet has never received a single major league at bat. I, for one, would be curious to see what kind of an impact he would have in the PEBA. He may be one of those under-the-radar acquisitions that really pays off for some astute GM.
Small has been a favorite of mine because he was a FAT (freely available talent) player that I picked up during my first year or so of running the Dinosaurs and was at the time carrying little to no projection outside of a decent "eye" and excellent personality ratings. To see him develop as he did was quite amazing. If he doesn't get moved this offseason, I got some plans to move him to another position and get him a shot within in a season at breaking in to the majors.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by Tyler »

Well, why not - the Coal Sox are shopping SP Jason Oliver. He's a *gasp* pitcher on the market! :wink: Anyone interested should PM me and we'll work on a deal before the meetings.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by Lions »

Connecticut Nutmeggers

TEAM OUTLOOK
We took a step backwards this past season, dropping from 3rd to 6th and losing 9 additional games when compared with 2011. The pitching staff isn't great, but it's not terrible, either. The offense, on the other hand, is not very good. The departure of Brooks Erickson, who last year set franchise records in numerous offensive categories, leaves a gaping hole with no real power threat remaining. Currently, several rookies are slated to get significant playing time next season. Financially, the moves that have been made to this point suggest a return to profitability in 2013 is possible, which would be a significant step in the right direction.

GOALS FOR THE WINTER MEETINGS
1. Figure out what they're all about.
2. No trades for vets.
3. Avoid quantity without quality.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
CF Bob Jefferson - Would really like to be rid of this contract, but I'd rather ride it out than give up additional talent just to move it.
1B Juan Otero - Not a superstar, but a solid vet.
SP António Cruz - sort of - The offers I've had for him, given his track record, have been uninspiring. Given that the pitching market is getting squeezed, I expect some better offers to be coming down the line.
Excess outfielders George Taylor and Daniel Williams

NEEDS
1. Centerfielder of the future possessing strong defensive skills and something offensively. Would prefer an on-base guy with low power to a power guy with low on-base at this position.
2. Power hitting 1B or corner outfielder
3. Early draft picks
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
James Bowman

#22 Post by James Bowman »

Charleston Statesmen

TEAM OUTLOOK
The Statesmen just hope to sustain the success of the last few seasons amidst the storied Dixie Division. On cruise-control for much of 2012, an abrupt post-season, and the losses of Jeff Cline and Mel Kennedy fuel speculation that the defending Dixie champs will have their hands full this year. The club expects a resurgence of Dixie Dominance this season, and hopes to compete for it's third division championship.

This will be the first meet I've been able to attend in it's entirety, so I'm looking forward to having the time to get to know everybody a bit better. I don't have any pressing needs for the big-league club, so I expect to kick-back and observe. But, I hear crazy things happen this time of year.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
1. Ruben Cruz
2. Yong-zhan Hu
3. Bobby Wright

NEEDS
Upgrades at Catcher, 2B or 3B, and RP, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with what I've got.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by klewis »

My friendly arch-rival has been all too quiet this off-season. I don't like it. It makes me nervous. I wouldn't be surprised if Charleston has something up their sleeves.

Statesmen wrote:Charleston Statesmen

TEAM OUTLOOK
The Statesmen just hope to sustain the success of the last few seasons amidst the storied Dixie Division. On cruise-control for much of 2012, an abrupt post-season, and the losses of Jeff Cline and Mel Kennedy fuel speculation that the defending Dixie champs will have their hands full this year. The club expects a resurgence of Dixie Dominance this season, and hopes to compete for it's third division championship.

This will be the first meet I've been able to attend in it's entirety, so I'm looking forward to having the time to get to know everybody a bit better. I don't have any pressing needs for the big-league club, so I expect to kick-back and observe. But, I hear crazy things happen this time of year.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
1. Ruben Cruz
2. Yong-zhan Hu
3. Bobby Wright

NEEDS
Upgrades at Catcher, 2B or 3B, and RP, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with what I've got.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Matt
VIP
VIP

#24 Post by Matt »

Chris is in the process of moving, he should be back online Friday and plans to make the winter meetings. In the meantime I have touched based with him on his plans, needs etc. Summarized below

Tempe Knights

TEAM OUTLOOK
They just won the championship. It's all downhill from here. The Knights roster is mostly set for next year with no huge needs.

1. Gloat

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
CF Orlando Garcia - good contract, good production. Prospects, draft picks, best offer..
SP Tu-An Sima
C Richard Carney
CF Tim Eaton
3b Rick Glendenning

NEEDS
1. Larger hats
2. prospects, draft picks, etc
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Borealis »

Knights wrote: GOALS FOR THE WINTER MEETINGS
1. Gloat
We took down Chris Rodriguez, we're taking down the Knights! Sending George Crocker to the Winter Meetings with a large ream of paper. Bring umbrellas, it's raining spit balls.
Knights wrote:PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
SP Tu-An Sima
Hmmmm... if you can't beat him, sign him???????
Knights wrote:NEEDS
1. Larger hats
Bruce Bochy sized?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#26 Post by Reg »

Bayou Brief is reporting that Scott is indeed planning to make the meetings though the source is unsure whether he will be there for the beginning...either way Scott should bring some Cajun spice to season the event...
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#27 Post by John »

Trendsetters wrote:Bayou Brief is reporting that Scott is indeed planning to make the meetings though the source is unsure whether he will be there for the beginning...either way Scott should bring some Cajun spice to season the event...
Woo hoo! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#28 Post by Arroyos »

Trendsetters wrote:Bayou Brief is reporting that Scott is indeed planning to make the meetings though the source is unsure whether he will be there for the beginning...either way Scott should bring some Cajun spice to season the event...
We're all relieved to know Scott will be there, but will he be wearing his playa hat? That's the question. A winter meeting without Scott's antics would be, well, like, uh, reasonable … and orderly … and dull.

The recent turmoil in the Yuma front office—uncertainty about who is buying the ball club and whether GM Mayberry will be replaced or not—leaves us uncertain about who will be representing us at the Winter Meetings. Former umpire Pam Postma represented Yuma at last year's winter meetings, so unless she is unexpectedly sacked by the new owners (whoever they may be), she would be the most likely representative of the club. We'll have to wait and see.

TEAM OUTLOOK
Yuma set several records last year and can't expect to match such an extraordinary season.

1. Avoid being buried in popcorn.
2. Trade away every player in the organization over 29.
3. Acquire another dozen draft picks.
4. Persuade the Commish to address the attendees at the Winter Meetings as Gentlemen and ladies.

PLAYERS BEING SHOPPED
Don't get me started.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”